1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
2. Are you prepared for a new dog? Purchase “The Good Behavior Book for Dogs”, to help you with everything you need to know to raise a well behaved and happy dog!
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement.
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
8. Join a fun, dog friendly community online and post pics of your pooch for the world to ooh and ahh over!
9. Buy an official National Dog Day Tee and sport it proudly!
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
11. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
12. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy.
13. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
15. Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
16. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
17. Get your dog some leash training lessons.
18. Buy your dog a cute new outfit or fashionable collar and leash.
19. Purchase a fabulous new carrier for your small breed dog.
20. Take your dog to the beach.
21. Throw out all your chemical cleaners and purchase non-toxic cleaners for your home to keep your dog cancer-free!
22. Dog-proof your home and yard.
23. Buy your dog a new collar.
24. Install a car safety harness to keep your dog safe during travel from
25. If you haven’t already, switch to a holistic brand of dog food to keep your dog healthy.
26. Hire a pet photographer to capture your dog’s life moments.
27. Pamper your dog in pure luxury by purchasing something fabulous from a popular shop.
28. Buy your dog a chic and comfy new bed.
29. Take your dog on a pet friendly vacation.
30. Buy yourself and your dog some matching tee shirts!
31. Create a Facebook page for your dog to share photos and stories for friends and family.
32. Have a custom Dog House built for your dog.
33. Buy a dog gate to keep your dog out of hazardous areas of the home.
34. Dog-proof your pool to prevent the risk of drowning.
35. Buy a canine first aid kit and put it in your car in case of injury while away from home.
36. Microchip & I.D. Tag your dog so the shelter can locate you if he gets lost.
37. Make sure your dog has all vaccines and a regular health exam.
38. Buy a National Dog Day tee and proudly display your love of dogs everywhere you go!
39. Switch to filtered water only from now on, to prevent illnesses related to toxins in normal water supplies.
40. Teach your children and their friends to be kind to your dog by never pulling on his ears or tail.
41. Pledge to walk your dog every day for proper health and behavior management.
42. Teach your dog some obedience skills.
43. get your dog certified as a therapy dog.
44. If you like your little dog to snuggle in bed with you, buy him some doggie steps to make it easy for him to join you.
45. Buy your dog a designer crate that fits with your interior décor style.
46. Make your home pet friendly by choosing pet friendly fabrics that hold up to your dog’s wear and tear.
47. Install a fence around your unfenced yard so your dog can run and enjoy some freedom at home.
48. Pledge to never chain your dog to a tree or doghouse. Always include your dog in your family by letting him live inside the home with you.
49. Carpet any stairs you may have to reduce risk of injury to your dog by slipping and falling.
50. And last but not least – pledge to never yell at or hit your dog…to be patient and kind and give your dog lots of love and praise every day.
- It’s Woofin’ Time for National Dog Day! (2shopper.com)
- Happy National Dog Day! (fox17online.com)
- National Dog Day; Protection for Your Furry Loved Ones (voodooboutique.typepad.com)
- Pet Advocate Urges Shelter Adoption on National Dog Day Monday (chicago.cbslocal.com)