So a few days ago we finally got around to trying one of the recipes from Make, Bake, Cookies – The Recipe Book (if you missed it (and if so, why did you miss it?) you can read the book review here).
I wanted to try the button cookies or even the peanut cookies but due to the availability of ingredients we ended up baking some Chocolate and Hazelnut Drops instead. They looked like a straightforward and easy recipe to follow.
I must admit it was a good choice.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour
- 55g cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 55g ground hazelnuts
- 55g plain chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F / Gas Mark 5.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon, then beat in the egg yolk and vanilla extract. Sift the flour, cocoa and salt into the mixture, then add the ground hazelnuts and chocolate chips and stir until thoroughly combined. Careful not to over-mix though or you will make the cookies tough.
- Scooping up tablespoonfuls of the mixture, shape them into balls with your hands, and then put them on the prepared baking sheets, spaced well apart. Use the dampened handle of a wooden spoon to make a hollow in the centre of each cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Mark wasn’t paying attention and grilled the first batch, he was so confused as to why they were taking so long to cook, till he realised, what a Muppet! He blames the new cooker and the confusing dials, of which there are only two I might add. On the plus side they did taste lovely, but the second batch cooked in the oven were truly divine.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- When the cookies are cold, fill the hollows with your favourite chocolate spread.
And remember they are baked not grilled 😉
14 responses to “What’s Cooking – Chocolate and Hazelnut Drops from Make, Bake, Cookies”
they look tasty wish I could grab one from the screen :o)
Oh my god this looks amazing. Thank you for adding the recipe. I’m going to try this this week 😀
Oh my gosh, this looks amazing! So Hungry now!
Yum! these look amazing!
they look delish!
what amazing cookies – how fab to fill them with choc spread! Yum. xxx
Oh these look amazing!!
These look delicious, I’d love to try some!
they sounds yummy!
they do look good! Love squidgy (technical baking term) middles!
My mouth is now watering and I need to find chocolate! Love the fact he tried to grill them!!
My second time of attempting to leave a comment! These look absolutely yummy – I can almost smell them through my PC screen! And really easy to make too 🙂
Wow. They look yummy. Will be giving this one a go x
Pingback: Nocciollette – Hazelnut Cookies / Hasselnøttkaker | RecipeReminiscing